Sunday, September 9, 2012

With all my love to Mum and Dad

On one afternoon recently, I went to visit an elder at the Lao Elderly's village at Hasluck Road, Bonnyrigg.  As soon as I parked my car, my eyes were drawn to House No 1 where Mum and Dad used to live for a number of years before they moved to live in my house in Green Valley.  Suddenly, the old memory struck me, there ... they used to wait for the children and grand children to come and visit them and we have never failed doing that.  Every single day, one or more of our siblings would come and bring their small children to visit their grand parents.

Our sister Phonephanh Phoumindr-Phounsavanh, our fifth sibling was the one who fulfilled this task better than anybody else.  She was there nearly everyday for them - she would drive Mum to do shopping and Dad to Doctors' appointments.  At three o'clock, she would pick up her own children and the nephews and nieces from school and brought them to Grandparents' house.  The kids would gather there, run around, have a happiest time among themselves and have yummy snacks that Grandma made for them.  Later, on their parents will come and pick them up. 

I was very busy with work and study so I usually dropped in to see them very late at night after my classes at Uni but Mum and Dad were always up, waiting for me and asked me to have dinner.

I wish ... I simply wish that they were right inside that house so all I had to do was to walk in, knock that very door and say things like "Dad, how did you go with your computer?  Did you manage to use the Lao font I installed for you last week?" or "Mum, where did Tic take you to do shopping what did you buy today?".

I know we all had a very happy and meaningful life being born as their children and we all had a precious time with them while they were here with us.  But ... being greedy just like all other human beings, we never have enough, we still want more of them ... love, care, commitment, passion, knowledge, morals, challenges, share of opinions, fun and the list goes on.  We enjoyed all that from our parents.

The hot tears filled my eyes ... it was in fact a mixed feeling ... sadness because I missed them so much but also happiness because I know they have always been there for us, for me especially.  Suddenly, I felt that they were there ... somewhere nearby ... I could feel their presence, their love, their kindness.  Something prompted me to look up the sky ... the tears dropped down my two cheeks but at the same time a happiest smile painted my face ... there up in the sky I could see my name "Pauline" clearly, which is made off the nicest, softest, and whitest clouds.  Thank you Mum, thank you Dad!  Thank you very much indeed!  I can't appreciate more being born your daughter.

I would like to express my most sincere thanks to uncle Sychanh Chitdamrong who was there for me when I was in one of the most difficult times of my life recently.  I remember he told me:  "Your parents are up therefor you, they are watching you, they are concerned about you and they love you very much".  Thank you ao Sychanh!

I also would like to say "thank you" to Papa Sisamouth and Maman Louise in Montpellier, France who represent the figures of my parents and who are always there ... physically when I visited them in France last year and through Facebook when I am far from them.  Merci Papa et Maman!

Pauline

10/9/12

No comments:

Post a Comment